We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Read the full disclosure.
Do you need to get back to work, but you’re afraid that will mean being a slave to a boring 9-5? There’s good news! In today’s world, I find that there are endless opportunities for earning a good living while using creativity and doing what you love. It might take more ingenuity to get there, but when you are reinventing yourself, why not make it fun?
Whether you decide to job hunt or to start your own business, here’s one exercise that can help you to determine what a dream career looks like for you.
It’s called developing a Personal Career Brand.
Let me explain…
Personal branding is the process by which individuals differentiate themselves and stand out from a crowd by identifying and articulating their unique value proposition, whether professional or personal and then leveraging it across platforms with a consistent message and image to achieve a specific goal.
Once, I gave a talk about personal branding even though that wasn’t at all my niche. I ended up learning a lot while preparing an exercise for the audience that I tried myself. This led me to decide how to use my talents to create my own dream career – I love it when stuff like that happens! With this handy dandy cheat sheet, you can get closer to finding your path to personal and financial freedom too – by doing something that you love! I call this your Personal Career Brand.
The Benefits of a Personal Career Brand
First, let’s understand the benefits of developing your personal career brand by asking yourself, what would it be like if I could:
- be more memorable
- establish authority and credibility in an industry or niche
- give my online presence a success-minded boost
- hear about referrals, ventures, and job opportunities?
Do those benefits sound helpful? If so, you must first find Inspiration about Your Brand.
Take it from Oprah:
As you become more clear about who you really are, you’ll be better able to decide what is best for you – the first time around.
Well, maybe it’s not your first time around, or even your second, but it’s never too late to get serious about doing what you love.
Now that you know the WHY, here’s the HOW:
The Tools to use to Stand Out from the Crowd
- Your Self-Discovery: what do you personally do really well? Determine what specific factors are your greatest strengths. Do you excel at detail-oriented projects that others struggle with? What do people say about you when you are not in the room?
- The Competition: What information do you have that other people don’t? Your competition probably struggles with issues you breeze through. Identify the overlap between where they struggle, and where you excel for maximum effect.
- The Research: What do people want most? Next, do a little research! By determining what the market wants, and where it overlaps with your strengths and your competitions’ challenges, you’re on your way. And with this, you’ll be able to find what characteristics to start with when it comes to your personal career brand!
Now that you have tools, but them to action. Here are 6 Action Items for Launching Your Personal Career Brand
- List 5 activities you love to do
- List 5 things you do best
- List 5 the 5 most unique things about you
- List 5 YOU factors with market demand
- Look for the intersections to identify your personal brand
- Create a tag line or 1-2 sentence summary of that personal brand
To me, developing my personal career brand helped me to be more focused and to truly live my dream.
Once you’ve completed this exercise, you’ll be further along in finding your dream career too!